Tag Archives: Dog Travel



Anyone who’s experienced the stress of air travel with their pet has thought there’s got to be a better way. Alysa Binder and Dan Wiesel thought they could do better, and the result is Pet Airways, which starts flying pets around the country in July 2009.

From drop off to pick up every aspect of the pet’s comfort has been thought through, with pre- and post-flight walks, comfortable waiting areas, and boarding on either side if necessary. The animals are walked (or carried) onto the plane where they board the main cabin, escorted by pet attendants. The interior of Pet Airways’ planes have been converted to carry 50 pets and the attendants—not pet owners. Kennels in all sizes are mounted to vertical rows, and each pet travels in comfort and safety inside the cabin, not underneath.

The airline hopes to grow to 25 cities in the next few years, but will start out with service to Washington D.C., New York City, Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles, initially once a week. Pet Airways chose a well known and admired turboprop, the Beechcraft 1900 for its fleet, which will be operated by Suburban Air Freight, an Omaha-based carrier. The journey will take a bit longer than most of us are used to as it will stop every few hours to refuel, but the benefit is bathroom breaks for the pets.

The service isn’t perfect—the airports are probably not the ones you’ll be flying to, and the initial service is limited—but for those who want the best for their pets and can’t afford to charter a plane, it’s a great start. Launch pricing is only $149 each way—comparable with freight fees on most passenger airlines.

Visit www.petairways.com

Travel to Mexico

Travel with your dog to Mexico

All one needs to do in order to bring their pet into Mexico is a bit of paperwork.
Two bits of paperwork to be exact:

1. A vaccination certificate stating that your pet has been vaccinated against rabies, hepatitis, pip and leptospirosis.

2. An official health certificate that must be issued by a veterinarian no more than 72 hours before entering Mexico.

You may enter the country with up to two large pets (dogs or cats). If you want to enter the country with any more than two pets you will need permission, which can be obtained from the Mexican consulate nearest you. In any case, it would be a good idea to go to a Mexican consulate before you leave on your trip to inform them of your plans.

You will be relieved to know that there is no quarantine period required for bringing a pet into Mexico. You must note that airlines have certain restrictions on pet weight and pet size, as well as on pet containers. Furthermore, it would be a good idea to make travel plans well in advance.

Dogtravel Company

World’s first Travel Club for Dog Lovers!

Dogtravel Company is the world’s first full service travel club for dog lovers. They provide the following exclusive services to members:

1. Access to request, quote, and book dog friendly in-cabin flights for dogs of all sizes
2. Access to book open dog friendly flights scheduled by members
3. Access to request, quote, and book dog friendly on-board train service
4. Access to book open dog friendly train service schedule by other DTC members.
5. Access to exclusive member’s only discounts at dog friendly hotels and resorts
6. Access to members-only discounts on dog friendly car rentals
7. Access to members-only dog friendly vacation planning and vacation packages
8. Access to request, quote, and book dog friendly group travel
9. Access to DTC’s online store with near wholesale pricing
10. The Dogtraveler Newsletter “chuck” full of travel deals, tips, and ideas
11. Separate DTC TSA Security Check Points when traveling to avoid long lines
12. Your own personal Member Services Representative

On flights your dog will be sitting in the seat right next to you, secured with his or her own specialized DTC approved safety belt. They will also enjoy their very own snack, meal, and in-flight beverage services, and on some flights they may also have their very own inflight service!

On trains your dog will travel right next to you, whether you are mingling with other passengers on the coach or lounge cars, enjoying a meal in the dining car, taking a nap in one of the sleeper cars, or romping with the other dogs in a grass filled “play car”.

Vacation packages will include your dog in all aspects of your trip. Our concierge service can help you find dog-friendly eating establishments, as well as dog-friendly tourist sites, events, and parks.

You can book your stay at one of Dogtravel Company dog friendly partner hotels, resorts, B&Bs or vacation rental homes, and secure a car with one of Dogtravel Company dog friendly partner auto-rental agencies.

What ever your travel needs, even if it’s as simple as asking a question about the dog laws in a state or country, your Concierge and Member Services team is available to help you!

Visit www.dogtravelcompany.net

Rules for Dogs on a Plane

Commercial Airlines

There are certain legal guidelines and restrictions for pet air travel. The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the International Air Transport Association (IATA) govern air travel for pets. The airlines themselves have different regulations; always contact your airline well in advance to review the particular procedures and requirements.

The best airlines generally have written rules for pet travel. These guidelines are evidence that the airline has given a good deal of thought to the safe transport of animals. Small pets often can be crated and taken on board the plane with you. Larger animals must stay in the cargo area. No matter what airline carrier you use, there are important guidelines to consider.

1. The pet should be at least eight weeks old and fully weaned.
2. The pet cannot be ill, violent, or in physical distress.
3. According to the ASPCA and many veterinarians, as well as most airlines, pets should not be sedated for air travel. If you are concerned about your pet being over anxious during travel, then please discuss this with your veterinarian. Make sure that your pet’s nails are trimmed to avoid snagging on the travel crate’s door or some other object.
4. The pet should have all necessary health certificates and documentation.
5. The travel crate must meet the airline’s standards and be large enough for the pet to lie down comfortably, turn around, and stand freely. Mark the crate with “Live Animal — This Side Up” and include your name, address, and telephone number in case she gets lost or misplaced in transit. You also should include the name, address, and telephone number of your destination. New Regulations — Containers constructed after October 1, 2000 must meet the following requirements — The door must be constructed of welded or cast metal of sufficient gauge or thickness to prevent the animal from bending or distorting the door. The door hinge and locking pins must engage the kennel by at least 1.5 cm (5/8″) beyond the horizontal extrusions above and below the door opening where the pins are fitted.
6. Your pet may be more comfortable if you place an old towel, blanket, or toys in the crate.
7. Book a nonstop flight and take temperatures into consideration. During the summer, fly at night when it’s often cooler. In the winter, fly during the day when it’s warmer.
8. Certain short-nosed dogs such as pugs cannot breathe well in airplane cargo areas. Avoid flying with these particular breeds.
9. Do not feed your pet just before traveling due to the potential for an upset stomach during the flight. Give your pet frozen water or, if possible, some ice cubes that will melt slowly (and hopefully will not dump out during boarding).
10. Plan your trip well in advance and make sure you follow all airline regulations. Plan to check-in at the airport at least three hours before the flight departs.

Private Air Travel — Chartering A Plane

As expensive as it may appear, many travelers are very surprised to discover that a small plane charter is fairly reasonable, particularly if there are three to 12 people flying together as a group. Charter hourly rates can range from $700 to $4,000, depending on the plane and region. For instance, if a group of vacationers are flying only an hour or so, the average airfare can be very nominal. Given the recent increased security and long delays at most major airports, many travelers also are eager to fly out of small regional airports that are close to both home and their eventual destinations.

There are hundreds of small- to medium-sized air charter companies throughout the United States. Each company covers a different region and has its own pet policies. It is very important to check several to find the best overall price, features, and service for you, your group, and your furry friend.

Professional Pet Transportation Companies

Pet transportation companies have always provided an invaluable service for those who are in the process of moving to a different region or who simply need someone to oversee the safe shipment of their pet to a vacation getaway. Anyone can ship an unaccompanied pet, but as more and more airlines beef up their security and ask that the shipper be “known” to them, many people are hiring these pet movers play to help them safely ship their unaccompanied pets to their destinations. Members may log-in for a list of pet transportation companies that will help get your pet safely from one location to another.

To assist you in understanding some of the general rules and regulations about transporting a pet by air, we suggest visiting the Air Transport Association web site where they discuss many points of interest. We suggest that you also ensure that the company you ultimately choose is bonded, check their references, ensure that they are endorsed by the appropriate regulatory agencies, such as the IPATA, AATA, and/or the PHA.

While pet transporters can make the entire process of shipping or flying with a pet much easier, there are still a number of questions you should be prepared to ask the shipper.

Microchips and Scanners


The microchip is a small device about the size of a grain of rice. It is inserted into the pet in the area of the shoulder.
The microchip contains only a number. If the pet is lost the animal shelter can scan the pet and see the number. If the pet has been registered, you will then be contacted to return your pet. However, it is essential that you keep your contact information up to date.

If you are traveling to an EU Country and many other countries in the world a microchip is MANDATORY as the immigration officers use it to compare the pet they are scanning to the veterinary documents you have presented.

INSIDE the United States the Home Again microchip by Destron or the Avid Micro Chip in either the nine digit encrypted versions or the Avid EURO 10 digit can be read by any shelter or veterinarian that has a scanner.

If you are traveling to an EU country and your pet has the nine digit microchip, your pet will need more than one microchip or you will need to carry your own scanner.
In Europe the standard pet microchip meets ISO standard 11784/17785 and is a 15 digit microchip operating at 134.2 kHz.

There are three commonly used types of microchips available from several different manufacturers and not all immigration offices in the various countries can read all three.

PETS WHO REMAIN IN THE USA: If your pet will remain in the United States, then the Avid 9 digit encrypted chip or the Avid Euro Chip with 10 digits or the Home Again chips that all operate at 125 khz or 128 kHz are the ones to use, as nearly all animal shelters in the US have been equipped with scanners.

PETS TRAVELING TO AN EU COUNTRY: If you are traveling to an EU Country then you want the 15 digit chip which meets ISO standards 11784/11785 134.2 kHz FECAVA. We recommend the Crystal Tag microchip. CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE A 15 DIGIT ISO MICROCHIP.

PETS TRAVELING IN EUROPE AND LIVING IN EUROPE: If you are living in Europe or traveling throughout Europe then you should use a microchip which meets ISO 11784, which is a 15 digit chip at 134.2 khz such as the Crystal Tag microchip.

PETS TRAVELING TO OTHER COUNTRIES: For travel to all Countries with the exception of CHINA you should use ISO 15 digit microchip that meets ISO standards 11784/11785. China requires the 9 digit chip.

REGISTERING YOUR CHIP: The Microchip only contains a number. If your pet is lost it will be impossible for the agency who finds your pet to contact you unless you have registered the pet and the microchip number. You can register the microchip number with the company who made it or an independent company such has www.help4pets.com.

In addition to the Microchip your pet should have a pet tag on its collar with the pet’s name, your phone number, the Microchip number and THE NAME OF THE MANUFACTURER OF THE CHIP.

The identification number contained in the microchip must appear on all veterinary and vaccination certificates.

SCANNERS - If you are traveling to Europe the immigration people may be able to read the Home Again Chip or the Avid EuroChip (except France). However, if you are concerned then you can always carry your own scanner with you. Scanners are available for purchase or rental from Pet Travel Store. If your pet has the ISO 15 digit microchip then it is not necessary to carry your own scanner.

CFIA Certification


CLICK HERE for CFIA Certification Form.

Most countries including all of the EU Countries require that a veterinarian certificate issued in Canada by a licensed veterinarian then be endorsed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The following is the procedure for acquiring this certification.

Have your veterinarian complete the EU form 998 if traveling to an EU Country or the veterinary certificate for the country you are traveling to if it is not an EU Country.
Your vet will complete the veterinary certificate including the vaccination record and will affirm that the pet is free of parasites, free of diseases communicable to humans, and in good health.

Some Rabies Free Countries such as the UK require a blood titer test.
Some countries also require a certificate of treatment against Ticks and Tapeworms sometimes referred to as the Echinococcus treatment.
The Veterinarian must sign and date the forms required for the country you are visiting.

Take or mail the original of the form(s) to the nearest CFIA and they will endorse and stamp them.
The fee is normally $20 per form. More than 1 animal with the same owner going to the same destination can be listed on a form. If your vet uses separate forms for each animal, it will be $20 per form.

If there is not a CFIA office located nearby you can send the forms by mail.
* The original of the form(s)
* Payment in the amount of $20 per form
* A self-addressed, stamped, envelope for returning the forms to you.
The CFIA normally sends the forms back within 2 business days of receiving them.

The addresses and phone numbers for the CFIA offices are listed here: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/offbure.shtml. .

NOTE; It is recommended that you call in advance to make sure of the method of payment and amount.

For additional information contact:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency /
l’Agence canadienne d’inspection des aliments
Tel: (613)225-2342
Email: anima_questions@inspection.gc.ca

USDA Certification


All EU Countries as well as many other Countries now require that a veterinarian certificate issued in the United States have an official USDA Certification stamp.

This certification is issued by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) APHIS (Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) VS (Veterinary Services) Area Office in the State in which your accredited veterinarian resides

The following is the procedure for acquiring this certification:

Have an accredited veterinarian complete the veterinary health certificate for the Country you are visiting, which if you are traveling to an EU Country is the new EU FORM 998. If you do not have the forms for the country you are traveling to or need the EU FORM 998, CLICK HERE.

The accredited veterinarian will complete the form including vaccination information and that the pet is parasite free and in good health. The accredited veterinarian must then sign it. Take or mail the original of the form to the USDA/APHIS/VS Area Office in your state and they will endorse and stamp them. The fee is $24 per form…more than 1 animal can be listed on a form. If your vet uses separate forms for each animal, it will be $24 per form. For countries where there is a titer or blood tests the cost is $76.00.

If the Area office is not located nearby, you can send the forms by mail.
1. The original of the form
2. Payment in the amount of $24.00 or $76.00 per form (see above).
3. A self-addressed, stamped envelope for returning the form to you.

Each state has a USDA/APHIS/VS area veterinarian. You can find the nearest office here: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/area_offices/

Public inquiries should be directed to the nearest APHIS/VS Area Office.

International Quarantine


The countries of the world have been divided into three classifications that relate to pets:
1. rabies free countries,
2. third countries (low incidence of rabies) and
3. countries with high incidence of rabies.
Third Countries include all the countries of the European Union (EU) except the United Kingdom which is rabies free. The United States, Canada, Mexico are also considered third countries.

Before your travel, it is important that you are aware of the classification of your country of origin (where you begin your travels) and the rabies classification of the destination country (where you end your trip). If you have layovers on your trip, you need to be aware of quarantine requirements of countries in which you clear customs. The intelligent traveler will be able to avoid quarantine requirements of rabies free countries by planning in advance.

If you are traveling with your pet from a RABIES FREE COUNTRY, you can visit any THIRD COUNTRY or any COUNTRY WITH A HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES with minimal paperwork and without quarantine or a blood titer test. However, there will be restrictions and perhaps quarantine upon your return.

Traveling with your pet from one THIRD COUNTRY to another THIRD COUNTRY: Your pet must have resided in a THIRD COUNTRY for a minimum of six (6) months prior to your travel date. You can then travel to another THIRD COUNTRY fairly easily. You will need a microchip for these countries and the proper veterinary certificate for the country that you are entering. Your dog rabies vaccinations must be current. There are a limited number of these THIRD COUNTRIES that also require an import permit for entry. For individual country veterinary certificates for over 140 countries, Click Here

If you are traveling from a THIRD COUNTRY to a RABIES FREE country, a blood titer test will be required, and the pet must have a microchip as well as the proper forms for the destination country. There is always a waiting period from the time you have the blood titer test until the time you enter the RABIES FREE country. In some cases, it is 120 days and in other cases, it is 180 days. If your schedule does not allow for a waiting period, quarantine will be imposed at the destination country. Jamaica is an exception as it does not allow any animals other than those born and raised in the UK.

Traveling with a pet from a THIRD COUNTRY to a COUNTRY WITH A HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES: You can also travel to a COUNTRY WITH A HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES from a THIRD COUNTRY without a blood titer test and, in many cases, without a microchip. The problem may occur when you return from that country with a HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES to a THIRD COUNTRY. In most cases, except for the United States and Canada, a blood titer test will now be required.

With the exception of the United States and Canada and a handful of other countries, anytime you travel from a country with a HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES to a THIRD COUNTRY, a blood titer test will be required, your pet must be micro chipped and you will need the proper forms for that country. For individual country veterinary certificates for over 140 countries, Click Here

Traveling with your pet from a COUNTRY WITH HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES to another COUNTRY WITH A HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES: In most cases, a blood titer test will NOT be required, and you will only need the proper paperwork for that country.

Travel from a COUNTRY WITH A HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES to a RABIES FREE COUNTRY: If you enter a rabies free country with your pet from a country with a HIGH INCIDENCE of rabies, then you will either be refused entry, or your pet will be placed in quarantine for a period of four to six months. As COUNTRIES WITH HIGH INCIDENCE OF RABIES are not included in the UK Pet Scheme, quarantine is unavoidable.

There are several countries where quarantine is unavoidable unless you are entering from a RABIES FREE COUNTRY.

International Health Certificate for Your Dog

Most countries including those of the European Union now have a veterinary certificate that is specific to their country.
If there is not healthy certificate for the country you are visiting then you should use the International Health Certificate USDA-APHIS 7001 form. It is officially known as “United States Interstate and International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals.
Some countries require that it be certified by the USDA - See USDA certification

The certificate should be issued by your veterinarian as near to the date of travel as possible but never more than 14 days before travel.
The certificate should indicate the following:
1. Name of pet
2. Breed
3. Color
4. Age of Pet Country Of Origin Name/address/phone number of the Owner of Pet

The certificate should state that:
The pet is healthy and free of parasites.
The certificate should show the inoculations the pet has been given including the type, the manufacturer and the batch number if possible.

The rabies shot must be given at least 30 days before travel and not more than 12 months before travel.
Some Countries require that the certificate should be translated into the language of that Country.
view the individual regulations by Country at this page: http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm

You must use the new EU form 998 Veterinary Certificate when traveling with your pet to any of the Countries of the European Union. CLICK HERE to order online.